Monday, September 10, 2007

Diaper Free


I decided to get Luke potty trained before Summer was over and all the pants, shoes, jackets, and multiple layers begin. So I just took away his diapers, yes night time and the during the day, and it has been smooth sailing! Of course he has had some accidents, but really I think that is what made him catch on so quickly! He has been #2 trained for several months and I was wondering how long I should wait before jumping in and committing myself to lots of potty time. But honestly it wasn't that bad. We even went to the petting zoo the first week during training. It actually helped to be around lots of little kids using the potty because then he thought it was fun. We found some really cute Thomas the Train, Lightning McQueen, and boxer brief underwear. This of course made it more exciting for him and after a few days of wearing comfy cottons the diaper seemed, well, "yucky baby diapers" to him. I used lots of treats, first stickers and then fruit snacks and marsh-mellows for rewards. And since I don't want any accidents on my nice down comforter from college that he was using, we bought him some cheap Walmart bedding!

12 comments:

Ashley said...

You want to hear something cool? Sometimes I click through people's blogs--you know, checking out their friends blogs--to find cool ones. And I came across yours! From the McGuires. And I couldn't even tell you the trail that led me to that one.

Danette said...

Way to go Luke! Hayley, you deserve a prize too. Go buy yourself something with the money you will save this month on diapers. I love kids at Luke's age. If you need, we will take him!

J-Dawg said...

Good job Luke! Lightning McQueen underwear? I'm jealous!

Kierstin said...

Good Job Mommy!! I know what you are saying about being around little kids. I remember when Asia and her little friends were first potty trained. If one had to go, we all went to the bathroom. It was so funny to hear them talking about being big kids. Yea for Luke!

McGuire's said...

i'm so jealous

McGuire's said...

i'm so jealous

Wilsons said...

That is so awesome! Great job
luke and to you!

Heather said...

that's great!! that's one thing i'm totally dreading, potty training lauryn. (not that it's going to happen any time soon). but your experience gave me some hope :)

DeGooyer Family said...

How awesome!! This is similar to what we did with Benjamin, and it worked in 4 days!!

Jordan said...

YAY way too go!

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

YAY for you! Alright for you! Everybody say YA-HOO for you! Ya-hoo for you! (sorry, a little EFY cheering there). It just means WAY cool, exciting, and 3 cheers for you and Luke! =)

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!