Saturday, July 28, 2007

My husband made me chocolate!



Will had the day off and was bored so he decided to try some new recipes. Will doesn't like chocolate. It's true and I did know this before I married him. I didn't really ever make chocolate goodies or buy chocolate the first year of our marriage (I think that is why I lost so much weight; I am a chocoholic) But over the years he has submitted little by little to the indulgence. I think I am winning the battle because he made me a Chocolate Zucchini Cake for dessert without me asking! WIll made all of the dinner by himself which was so nice. Luke and I only helped clean up. Luke asked "can I have stick?" Which meant can I lick the beaters! I've always been so excited for Luke to start talking more, and now that he does, we are always asking him to be quiet! Also when we were in the garden yesterday picking cucumbers and basil for the meal he came up with something pretty cute, "Mom, you playing in the plants?" He loves to pick grapes in the garden, and we always have to hose him down when we leave because he gets so dirty. But its worth it!

So what we had for dinner, besides chocolate was: roasted chicken with carrots, cucumber salad with mint and feta cheese, BBQ corn with basil butter, and watermelon strawberry agua fresca. The salad was surprisingly very good. I am not a big fan of mint, but it wasn't very strong, and served as a nice garnish as well. I think even though everything was yummy, the cucumber salad was everyone's favorite dish. We had Paul and Brynley join us for dinner. It was the least we could do to thank them for babysitting that afternoon!

Cucumber Salad
olive oil
white vinegar
red wine vinegar
red onions
salt and pepper
10 mint leaves sliced longways
1/4 lb. feta cheese
3 cucumbers thinly sliced

8 comments:

Heather said...

Your triumph is getting Will to like chocolate, mine has been getting Paul to like tomatoes! I guess that's why I gained so much weight my first year of marriage :)

christine said...

Wow that's quite a spread! What a good hubby.

Jill said...

Lucky you, that dinner looks amazing! Your boys are so cute and getting so big!

Chantel said...

OH MY GOSH, your kids are so big! I found your blog through Jill's, hope you don't mind me dropping in!
Chantel

Kadie said...

You guys are definitly taking over the gourmet cooking. I haven't been cooking hardly at all, I blame it on the heat but I have no excuses seeing as how you don't even run your air conditioning! The meal looks delicious! When can we come over for dinner?

Kierstin said...

Was the chocolate zucchini cake any good? Post the recipe if it is. It sounds like a healthy way to eat chocolate.

Wilsons said...

Wow! I didn't even know you cooked so well! What have I been missing? It all looks very yummy! I love your site.

Katherine said...

This looks delicious! I love your blog, Hayley. Thanks for the comments you posted on mine.