Friday, May 25, 2012

Birth Story #5





I really wanted to have a good c-section experience.  Since this was my third c-section I figured it should be the easiest!  I was a little more nervous and emotional because of the move but there was no doubt I was extremely excited to meet Travis and to experience one of the most precious and joyous moments of life, meeting your own child that's been growing in you nine months!  It started off with a wonderful blessing of comfort from Will and that got my heart in the right place.  No more worrying about the what if's and just put in all in the Lord's hands.  I still didn't sleep at all.  The longer I stayed awake the more I realized I was getting a cold too.  I tried to relax all morning.  Then we get there and the anesthesiologist insists on starting my IV.  He missed twice, and didn't mind digging around while he was in my forearm.  Then I told him how nauseous I get with the spinal, he didn't give me anything and I started throwing up about 2 seconds after the spinal was in.  He got all surprised and started to yell at the nurses for help because he wasn't ready with all his other stuff.  Then it got better they let Will in the room and before I knew it Travis was out!  I always kind of laugh and cry at this moment; I can't see him because of the barrier they put up but I can feel the release of pressure and hear the crying.  And knowing he is out is so exhilarating and joyous.  He was breech and had a true knot.  It's a good thing it was a planned c-section, although again I thought of my sister and how I would love to have a baby in a bath tub with no one poking me or telling me I can't eat or taking my baby from me for some dumb reason!  The nausea medication kicked in and I felt so relaxed.  Travis was breathing fast TTN and they had to give him some nasal CPAP (continuos positive airway pressure) and take him to the nursery to watch him, because a Pediatrician and a NICU nurse, his own parents can't watch him.  They brought him back up let me try to breast feed and the nurse freaked out said he was breathing too fast and sent him away again!  I was upset and bugged.  They weren't doing anything for him the nursery, just watching him.  I guess poking him too for blood sugars since he was 9 lbs. 11oz. he had to be on the glucose protocol.  But they can do that with him in the room with me.  So in the nursery he stayed all afternoon until 7 that evening.  It was sad for me too because I wasn't loopy and incoherent enough to not miss him.  I went with oral pain medicine to try and avoid getting nauseous.  I was in a lot more pain recovering but I preferred it because I felt like myself the whole time.  Then we were able to bond and be together.  He seemed small too me, maybe because he was so long 22".  He is the only kid we have had with a turn out.  He's not pigeoned toed at all.  He looks just like Max to me as a newborn, just a little different hair pattern, not the widows peak and it kind of goes to the other side.  He has the same lips and nose as the rest.  He is so sweet!  It's been an easier recovery without the kids and I have been bugging Travis enough during the day he is doing well at night.  He did two five hour blocks last night!  Wahoo let's hope it sticks when the kids come back tomorrow.  I honestly don't know how I am going to keep an eye on Max and nurse!  He is such a slow nurser and I can't move a muscle when I nurse because I have latching issues as usual and am so sore and cracked!  But I am so happy, I love this little guy and it seems weird thinking I am done having kids even though five this close seems crazy!  

7 comments:

Danette said...

I am so glad you are doing ok. I get nervous every time you have a baby. I think it is the trauma from knowing what you went through with Luke...and the after math. Glad you haven't had to go through that again. I wanted to pass out every time I nursed for the first few weeks. I would curl my toes and hold my breath it hurt so bad. I was bout to quit when it started to get better. Hang in there, it will only get better!! I'm pretty sure I got all the baby pics figured out too, even though they all look alike Jade is definitely the easiest to distinguish!

Aubrey said...

I love how each of your deliveries are a different story! What a blessing to have another little one come into your family! Can't wait to watch and help!!!

Kierstin said...

I am so sorry for your frustrations. I sorry I haven't been able to get a hold of you but I know your life is crazy right now. Reading this gave me flash backs to my time with Emmy and screaming and crying at the nurses while they just nodded their heads and try to look sympathetic. I still don't think I'd ever opt for the bath tub. YIKES!! Too many things good go wrong and I like circling everything on the hospital menus! I know I am starving because everything tastes so good. Can't wait to meet Travis!

David said...

you have endured so much... but look at the joy after all that tribulation! he is beautiful :-)

David said...

last comment was from your mother!

Newton said...

Thanks for the birth story! You are so amazing and I love reading your blog! I just cannot believe you have 5 children. I admire you and the wonderful mother you are!

DeGooyer Family said...

Beautiful baby, beautiful family, and beautiful you!! I wish I could just drive over and help you out. Hope you've got some good friends and visiting teachers to help. Congratulations!!!!!