Sunday, September 11, 2011

Three at home


Jade is potty training and it is going better than expected. I am relying on stickers and reverse psychology to go #2. It's working but once everyday she purposefully has an accident #1 or #2. She tries to be sneaky about it; just to show me she's still in control. Every time I tell her to do something she says with attitude, "ah nam" for "I am" It cracks me up. She is hauling on her two wheeler with training wheels and doesn't miss a beat keeping up with the big kids on the tramp or whatever the activity. She asks to go play at the neighbors house and invites them into our house, in words you can't understand. She is always singing, holding and entertaining Max. And she recently remembered how to close the bathroom door and open a drawer and block me out, which drives me nuts, so I have to walk away until she gets bored.

Cohen is trucking away at learning his letters and doing music appreciation class with me. He is also trying to fill Luke's shoes in taking care of Max by bringing him to me everytime he cries. Between Max nursing, preschool and potty training I am finding little time to myself.

I like feeling more purposeful with my time teaching my children rather than just trying to survive the day (although I know I will still be having those days for a while). Its rewarding to see them build self confidence and understand new concepts. We live by Todd Beamer park named after a 9-11 hero who helped take back one of the planes and crashed it into a field. There was a ceremony taking place at the park as we drove to church and it provided a great teaching moment. The boys were interested and curious about what happened 10 years ago and I could see the wheels turning. Then after church we took cupcakes to the firemen and said thank you for all you do. It was rewarding teaching them and seeing them feel the joy that comes from being grateful and serving others.

Today they were navigating church websites checking out all the great movie clips. I could see their eyes light up and I know they felt the spirit. They kept watching them over and over. It made me feel really good. It also reminded me I want to focus more energy on what we do do on the Sabbath and not complain about what we don't do.

3 comments:

Marin said...

WOW i loved all the NEW POSTS!!!! It is good to hear how things are going. Maybe you can help Carden get FULLY potty trained. He really wants to be but has fear. I need to talk to Will about doing Mineral Oil?! Anyways hope to see you guys this week sometime! Max is so CUTE! Makes me excited to have another boy. But HONESTLY I have been packing up all the baby girl clothes and I don't want TO GET RID Of them. I think it will make me cry. Then I cleaned out some of the baby boy clothes and that made me want to cry. They are all so old and ugly :(

Lisa said...

Hey Hayley,
Seems like you have your hands full...in a good way. I love seeing the new pictures of your kids. I recently found some things (papers, letter, journals) from freshman year of college. It made me reflect and it's crazy to see how far we all have come. I'm so glad we lucked out on being roomies and I'm glad we became such great friends :). Love you and keep up all the good work you're doing.
Love you,
Lisa

The Tolberts said...

Hayley,

I've been feeling a little the same way lately with only two at home! Hats off to ya. Just remember that what your'e doing is more important than anything else you could be and it goes by so fast right? Before we know it they'll all be in school and we'll be sad (I think...) that they're gone all day! Miss you tons! Wish we lived closer so our kiddos could play and we could chat....Keep up the good work!!
BYW-My Brynnli was just the same with potty training....everyone always says girls are the easy ones...not true in our family. She just took her time and didn't want to give up control, just like you said. I figured, Heavenly Father must think I need more patience!!!