Wednesday, February 27, 2008

No More Finger

I took away Luke's pacifier when he turned one. And it was no big deal. He cried one night and it was over. But a month later he started sucking his finger. I tried to give the pacifier back and it was a no go. I was sick about him sucking his finger thinking he would take forever to quit. We put socks on at night, but then he would suck it all day. As he got older it switched to night and not during the day. I would tell everyone let them keep the pacifier until they're two because it is much easier to take away that instead of the finger attached to their hand.
But Luke quit the finger! It totally caught me off guard. I thought it would be a while before he wanted to quit. And I never thought it would be his idea to stop sucking. He only sucked it at night and in the morning when he first woke up because of our no TV and finger rule. But one night he asked if big boys or babies suck their fingers. I said babies. So the next few nights he would tell us that he didn't suck his finger. We made a little progress chart and let him stamp it each morning and night for seven days and that was it. No more finger, that simple! Blew me away.

Just Reminiscing....

9 comments:

J-Dawg said...

Way to go Luke! Hopefully Lois will make a similarly wise decision when we get to that point; somehow I think our battle will be pretty fierce...

Danette said...

Keion and Kylan are going to love the video. Brings back such great memories of the little guy-wait, was he ever little?! 15 inch head, I still cringe thinking about it and you having to endure it! Way to go. Luke still looks the same just a bigger version-but always cute!

Marin said...

awww sooo cute!! Makes me excited to see our little baby boy!! Few more weeks to go!!
Luke was so cute!
What a chunk! I hope I don't have a 9 pound baby (just for birthing purposes though)

Marin said...

I love that picture of Luke, his face is sooo great!!! His smile is sooo big!! Cute boy!

justin said...

Congrats Luke! Way to be a big boy! He was such a "Buddah Baby", round, chunky, olive skin! It's funny how a lot of his faces as a baby are still faces he makes, and how you can tell that that little baby is him. But when their little, you're always trying to guess by how they look as babies, what they will look like when their older...hopefully our kids look like Marin, cuz I looked like I was beaten with the ugly stick, until I turned 12-13, and then I turned beautiful! :)

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

GO LUKE!!! We cut Caitlyn's pacifier just before 2, so she wouldn't want Lauren's. She mourned its' loss, but never picked up the finger. Looking back, I was probably so mean - she was little. Lauren came - wouldn't accept a pacifier - only a thumb. She used to suck on it only when tired. Now it is ALL day long off and on. Either I am missing sleep cues, or I have a HUGE thumb issue soon. (She likes both too!). Maybe Luke can help Lauren!!!???

Ashlie n Jonathan said...

LOVE the video!!! He was and is SO cute! I love the video segment where he is brand new and trying to open his eyes - how precious to have his first moments of life. So new and can I say, "tiny"...?! What a cute video.

Kierstin said...

Love the video. Luke looks like a little Asian baby. CRAZY!

Unknown said...

Way to go!! No more finger, that's quite an accomplishment! Ali is still working on no more thumb. For now, she can eat that thing all she wants to as long as she is on her bed. I need a strategy to help her stop now that she is FIVE!