Monday, April 25, 2011

Birth Story


Pregnancy #4 wasn't that bad. I started out sick but not really sick like I was with Jade. I never threw up. Also I rode my bike to school with Luke a lot- 4 miles a day with a bike trailer or the bike seat. I rode right up until I delivered. I didn't really have aches and weird pain like I did with Jade. People thought I was crazy for riding my bike but actually your tummy over the bike seat keeps you pretty balanced and I got more crampy when I walked compared to biking. I am just sad with a c-section recovery I won't get to ride until school is out.

This was my first time have a baby in the same state, same hospital, doctor and same planned c-section. I was expecting it to be better than Jade's because, really, after that birth experience I don't know what could get worse. I told them they had permission to cut as big as they needed just in case he was bigger, since the trend was each baby has been bigger. The spinal went right in. They left out the duramorph so I wasn't throwing up on the table. Will was with me and I felt good. I looked around the room at the scrub nurse, two circulating nurses, the anesthesiologist, two doctors and all the equipment. I remember thinking of my sister having her baby at home in a bath tub with no equipment, no drugs and how simple having a baby could be. A couple tugs and he was out. I really dislike that everything is blocked and being strapped to the table but I remember feeling pure joy as I heard him scream. I was overwhelmed with gratitude and happiness when they showed him to me. Meeting your baby for the first time is one of the best experiences of life and I had been looking forward to it. It kept me going those last weeks of pregnancy. He looked SKINNY to me!! I was sure he wasn't an 11 pounder. He weighed in at 8lbs. 4 oz. and was healthy. No blood sugar checks. He got to stay with Will and I the whole time. He never left my side which made all the difference. I thought he was the cutest baby from the second I saw him. I felt bonded to him, did skin to skin and nursed right away and everything was great!

Then my pain set in so I used the morphine, yuck! It made me nauseous and I threw up that night. I told a fib so they would let me eat the next morning and my recovery went much better once I got some food in me. They lifted the flu season ban that doesn't allow children to visit so the kids came and saw us in the hospital. That made it easier to stay the two nights in the hospital. I made it home and my incision only hurt for two more days and has been feeling good since. Nursing is another story. PAIN, unbelievable pain. And I will never use lanolin again. It was causing major latching issues without me realizing it. Regardless I have thoroughly enjoyed this baby. I can't put him down. I love his little cow lick in the front of his hair. I bought my first pack of newborn diapers and he actually wears newborn clothes! He doesn't sleep through the night like Jade but waking up twice is doable. I just think of my sisters nursing twins and I tell myself I can do one!

I love having another sweet little spirit in our home. Meeting Max was amazing and I am going to be so sad when my child bearing days are over despite all the pain, stress, sacrifice it takes to bring a child into this world! The joy that comes from these little ones is worth it!

9 comments:

TheRapunzelGirl said...

wow! what a story! i didn't use lanolin at first, either, but i did later on when things got really tender . . . but every kiddo is different.

Max is SO CUTE!! i'm probably weird for having a 7 month old and being SO READY for another one already . . . (although i know that won't happen for a while)

McGuire's said...

He is a beautiful baby. Glad your c-section cut is feeling better, but I totally know what you mean with the PAIN when you start nursing. That first week when my milk comes in is way worse than labor to me. Love the picture with all of your kids...man 4 kids looks like a lot!! Congrats!

Bonnie said...

Thanks for sharing your story! I was wondering how everything went. So glad it went better this time! He is such a beautiful little boy! and such a small baby for you! I remember when you brought Luke home and he was 2x the size of Ayden. Miss you!

Ashley said...

Oh, this made me cry. Maybe some fresh feelings :) He is beautiful! C-section babies always look so pretty to me. Congratulations, hope nursing gets easier SOON.

Aubrey said...

What an amazing story! I am so glad for you that everything is going well now . . . well maybe sleeping through the night would be even better!!!

jenny said...

Man, I am seeing a lot of Will in those CUTE baby shots!
Although, the furrowed brows looks like Rhead!

Sarahe said...

What a great birth story! It sounds so calm compared to some hospital births i've heard. How nice!

He's a cutie.

Eugie said...

Congrats! I don't even think I knew you were pregnant. He is so cute! We are so happy for you guys.

Karen & Sam said...

Such a sweet story and your kids are adorable.