Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Epidural Abscess



Max was in the hospital for 2 weeks in the beginning of January.  His ear infection turned into mastoiditis and then into an epidural abscess with a sigmoid sinus clot.  A rare and serious infection.  They surgically drained his ear twice and he has had a CAT scan and 2 MRIs.  He is still on IV antibiotics every 8 hours at home and has another MRI on the 14th.  Its been long, hard, and sad knowing how sick he is; but after the first week in the hospital he has been pretty cheerful so that has helped keep me calm.  He seems himself so I am hoping he is healing and we can take the PICC line out of his arm after the MRI.  The first night he was in the hospital I had a dream he was home playing happily and that brought me a lot of comfort and then after Will was able to give him a priesthood blessing I  felt better.  Sometimes its hard to just put things into the Lord's hands and let His will be done, but I know that is all there is left to do.

6 comments:

Brynley said...

I'm so happy we is getting better. I hope the results are good tomorrow. You are a very strong mommy for having to go through all of this.

Marin said...

You are so strong and have such great faith. I am so glad he is getting better. I hope that he can get that IV out tomorrow!!!

Bonnie said...

I've been thinking about you and your family. we will keep Max in our prayers.

Danette said...

That sweet lil guy. I love that last picture. Breaks my heart that he has to go through so much, you too. He looks like a champ and I am sure he is going to come out with flying colors! Keep us posted.

Kierstin said...

We are all praying for our tough little Max and he is going to be a great missionary some day, that is the thought that keeps coming into my head. In fact you are going to have at least four great missionaries to send out.

I am glad he is well enough for the picc line to come out and we will keep cheering for every small improvement. I love the picture of Max in his crib. He is so handsome and I just wish I could have just held him more a Christmas. Sometimes with all the new babies we forget to hold and cuddle the toddlers, of course, if they will let us. Love you guys so much.

TheRapunzelGirl said...

and here i've been feeling overwhelmed with Ellinor's persistent ear infection that she's been dealing with since New Year's Eve! I hope Max is doing better and I'll be sending extra prayers to you that the Lord buoys you up during Max's healing time!